Statistics shows that 1.5 million candidates write JAMB UTME every year. Meanwhile the National Universities Commission (NUC) has announced that the admission capacity of all the universities in Nigeria – both private, state and federal universities – is 400,000. This means that only 400,000 candidates can be admitted annually while 1.1 million candidates will not be admitted into the universities in Nigeria. This is one of the reasons why university admission in Nigeria seems difficult.
However, there is a good news. The good news is that there is a way you can legitimately gain admission into universities in Nigeria without JAMB UTME. I am sure you must have heard of Direct Entry (DE) mode admission into universities in Nigeria. Direct Entry is a way of gaining admission into 200 level in Nigerian universities without writing JAMB UTME. There are various ways of gaining Direct Entry admission into universities in Nigeria without JAMB UTME. Here are some of them.
- Joint Universities Preliminary Examinations Board (JUPEB): JUPEB is a National Examination body saddled with the responsibility of conducting examinations for students, who have undergone approved subject combinations and are seeking Direct Entry admissions into Nigerian and partnering foreign tertiary institutions.The Joint Universities Preliminary Examinations Board (JUPEB) is a national examinations body approved by the Federal Government of Nigeria in December 2013. It was formally established in April 2014 by a consortium of ten (10) partnering universities led by the University of Lagos.The board has the responsibility of conducting common and standard examinations for the candidates, who have been exposed to a minimum of one-year approved courses in the different Universities’ Foundation and/or Diploma Programmes and are seeking Direct Entry admissions into University courses at the 200 Level in Nigerian and partnering foreign universities.For more information on how to register for JUPEB call 08022292404 or 08165987808.
The following universities accept JUPEB:
- Federal University of Agriculture, Abueokuta
- Federal University of Technology, Akure
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife
- University of Benin, Benin City
- University of Ilorin, Ilorin
- University of Lagos, Akoka – Lagos
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka
- University of Port Harcourt, Port Harcourt
- University of Uyo, Uyo
- Here is a full list of Universities in Nigeria that accept JUPEB
- Interim Joint Matriculation Board (IJMB) is an Approved, Proven & Certified Advanced level programme moderated by Ahmadu Bello University and having coordinating body in various tertiary institutions and different study centres nationwide. The programme is specifically designed to provide an opportunity for candidates who cannot gain admission to regular degree programmes in Nigerian Universities for one reason or the other, as the programme only requires candidates O’level results, Also awaiting result candidate can Enroll. For more information on how to register for IJMB call 08022292404 or 08165987808.
- College of Education: